Mandatory Prescreening Agent (MPA) Program
A Mandatory Pre-screening Agent (MPA) is a qualified mental health professional who has successfully completed a 6-hour MPA training course and has been designated by the Commissioner of the Dept. of Mental Health and Substance Abuse Services. MPAs are certified to write the first “Certificate of Need” after conducting the first assessment for involuntary psychiatric hospitalization.
To be considered for eligibility for designation as an MPA you must be licensed to practice in Tennessee and be a Qualified Mental Health Professional (QMHP). (Please note: as of 2012, MPA designation is limited to Qualified Mental Health Professionals (QMHP) who are employed to provide crisis services by a state provider or Veteran’s Administration (VA) .)
Qualified mental health professionals:
- Physician with expertise in psychiatry
- Psychologist with health service provider designation
- Licensed psychological examiner
- Licensed senior psychological examiner
- Licensed master’s social worker with two years of mental health experience
- Licensed clinical social worker
- Licensed or certified marital and family therapist
- Licensed professional counselor
- Licensed nurse with a master’s degree in nursing who functions as a psychiatric nurse
- Licensed Physician's Assistant with a master's degree and expertise in psychiatry as determined by training, education or experience
Beginning with the September 23, 2015 training, the Mandatory Prescreening Agent (MPA) training will be extended to six hours and will include Suicide Prevention training. Four (4) contact hours are afforded for the MPA training plus two (2) contact hours are afforded for the Suicide Prevention training.
MPA training will be from 8:30 a.m. CST until 12:30 pm CST.
Suicide Prevention training will be from 1:30 p.m. CST until 3:30 p.m. CST.
Please note: Your attendance and completion of both trainings are required to be considered for MPA designation.
March 16, 2017
June 22, 2017
Sept. 21, 2017
Dec. 14, 2017
March 15, 2018
June 14, 2018
Sept. 20, 2018
Dec. 6, 2018
PLEASE NOTE: IF YOUR PROFESSIONAL LICENSE IS A WORK PERMIT, PLEASE SUBMIT DOCUMENTATION REGARDING YOUR WORK PERMIT THAT INCLUDES NUMBER AND EXPIRATION DATE ALONG WITH YOUR MPA TRAINING REGISTRATION FORM.
Download a MPA training registration form here.