Frequently Asked Questions
- Will Tennessee recognize any other State’s firefighter certification?
Yes. As long as the certificates were issued by an entity accredited by either the International Fire Service Accreditation Congress (IFSAC) or the National Board of Professional Qualifications (ProBoard) after the date the entity became accredited.
- How do I become certified in Tennessee?
You must first become affiliated or sponsored by a fire department in Tennessee (either paid or volunteer), or be in the Tennessee Fire & Codes Academy 10 week recruit course. After that, you become certified in accordance with the Commission’s Rule and Regulations available on our website.
- What is the waiting period after failing a written or practical examination before retesting?
Fourteen (14) days from the date of the examination.
- I have completed a level of Certification, how long before I may challenge another level?
This varies by level. HMA, & HMO can be taken together at the same time, In addition, Fire Instructor per rule requires a person to be in the fire service for 3 years. For any other level, an applicant may challenge another examination in 30 days.
- What is the Educational Incentive Pay Program?
The Educational Incentive is a supplemental bonus paid to firefighters for completing a minimum of 40 hours of Commission approved training on an annual basis. The training program is submitted to the Commission for approval and is conducted by the local fire department.
- Can volunteer or paid-on-call firefighters qualify for the Educational Incentive?
No. State Law states that only full-time firefighters who are employed by a governmental entity qualify for the Educational Incentive Pay.
- How does my department enroll in the Commission’s Programs?
Departments recognized under the Fire Department Recognition Act, T.C.A. § 68-102-301 etseq. may participate in any eligible Commission program. Recognition shall be deemed participation in Firefighting programs.
- What is the deadline for submitting my In-Service Training Program?
Training Programs must be submitted by November 1st of the preceding calendar year for which training is to be conducted.
- What is the deadline for submitting the Request Forms for the Educational Incentive?
Educational Incentive forms are required to be submitted by March 1st.
- How do I obtain the latest forms necessary for participation?
Many of the forms you need are available for download here. Also, you may contact the Commission Office and we will mail or e-mail you any of the forms or documents you require.