In 2006, the Correction Commissioner formed the division of Clinical Services which includes the Office of Health Services and Mental Health Services. The Clinical Services division operates under the leadership of the TDOC state medical director.
Support Functions of Clinical Services:
- Develop Policy & Procedures
- Conduct Medical Contract Monitoring
- Conduct Mental Health Contract Monitoring
- Investigate Inmate Correspondence/Grievances
- Clinical Recruitment/Retention
- Infection Control
- Oversee Quality Improvement/Risk Management:
- Mortality Review
- Provider Credentialing
- Peer Review
- Pharmaceutical Management
It is the goal of the Clinical Services division to provide the required constitutional level of health and mental health care in the most efficient, cost effective manner possible to the Tennessee Department of Correction's 20,000 inmates. The department remains vigilant in delivering care as ethically, effectively and efficiently as possible while maintaining its attentiveness to the public health responsibilities inherent in a correctional population. Clinical Services will continue its commitment to managing an increasing number of physically and mentally ill offenders efficiently with medical and ethical integrity.