Welcome to a brief walk-thru of the Tennessee State Penitentiary. Let's begin with a few current shots of the TSP grounds.
Inside the facility, we have photos of the entrance, a cell area and the gymnasium.
The Tennessee State Penitentiary opened just south of 7th Avenue and Broadway in Nashville in 1831. The facility initially housed both men and women. In the 1850's, inmates were employed to build the State Capitol.
In 1858, the state prison was moved to a location on Church Street in Nashville. TSP was then moved to its current location on Cockrill Bend Boulevard in West Nashville in 1898. The doors officially closed in June of 1992. Most inmates were transferred to the nearby Riverbend Maximum Security Institution.
1902 - Prisoners in line entering dining hall
1946 Death House
1962 Cell Block
The Tennessee Film Commission is the project manager of the Tennessee State Penitentiary. Several movies have been filmed on this location. Click here for more information.
Due to the condition of the buildings, tours are not held.