Skip to Content

Licensed Educators Teaching in Non-Public Schools

The Office of Teacher Licensing serves educators employed in Tennessee non-public schools in the following manner: (1) alternative and interim licenses, (2) initial teacher or administrative licenses for applicants completing an approved teacher/administrative preparation program, and (3) licenses for out-of-state applicants meeting current licensing requirements.

Licensed educators employed in categories one, two, three and 1SP schools of state approved non-public schools are eligible for advancement to the Professional license (teacher). Advancement is required for licensed educators in category one schools and is optional for those in category two and category three schools. Non-public schools in any of these categories must use the state model for evaluation and have a trained evaluator in order for the educator to advance. Advancement requirements for licensed educators with three years of verified teaching experience include evaluation by a trained evaluator in an area of endorsement on a valid apprentice teacher license.

NOTE: An educator granted an alternative or interim license, a waiver, or a permit is not eligible for licensure advancement.

Questions pertaining to the evaluation process should be directed to the Director of Teacher Evaluation in the Office of Professional Development at (615) 532-1635. Questions pertaining to the category of non-public school should be directed to the Office of Non Public Schools at (615) 532-6274.

Licensed educators in category four and category five non-public schools are not eligible for licensure advancement.

Licensed educators are required to maintain a current, valid teacher or administrative license. Renewal of a license, adding an advanced degree, adding an additional endorsement, change of name or address, and request for a duplicate license must be processed through the Office of Teacher Licensing. Refer to the quick links at the left of this screen for obtaining information about those licensing options.

Download applicationdownload pdf filefor advancement for the non-public school educators or call (615) 532-4885 to request the form be mailed to you.

You may check our Educator License Information web site to verify receipt of licensure information. Unless you already know your license number we suggest first using the public search option to locate your license number by only entering your first and last name as listed on the application. Click on the name, the license information will be revealed. If you already hold a license and know your license number you may use the Educator Log in option.