Skip to Content

Renewal of Alternative Type A Teacher Licenses

  The renewal of the Alternative Type A license is only available to Speech Language Pathologists.


To renew this license, the applicant must be officially admitted to an approved teacher preparation program. Upon admission to the program, the college or university Certification Officer will evaluate all transcripts and prepare a program of studies which lists the applicant's areas of deficiency that must be addressed for obtaining a full teacher license. To satisfy renewal requirements, the applicant must complete a minimum of six semester hours from this list of deficiencies. These six hours must have been earned after the Alternative Type A License was last issued or last renewed.

The college or university may use two years of successful teaching experience on an Alternative License Type A in lieu of the student teaching requirement for recommendation of an applicant for an Apprentice Teacher License.

Download Application for Renewal of Alternate License Type A applicationdownload pdf fileform or call (615) 532-4885 to request the form be mailed to you. The application form also includes a list of regulations and guidelines regarding renewal.

The following paperwork must be sent to the Tennessee Office of Teacher Licensing in a single packet for the renewal of an Alternative Type A License to be processed:

  1. Application for Renewal of Alternative Type A License signed by a Tennessee superintendent/director of schools stating intent to re-employ the applicant.
  2. A program of studies signed by the Certification Officer at an approved college or university. This program of studies must state that the applicant has been officially admitted to a specific teacher preparation program and list all coursework deficiencies for full licensure. It must also indicate that the applicant has completed at least six semester hours of coursework from this list of deficiencies since the Alternative License Type A was last issued or last renewed. To obtain this program of studies, the applicant must contact the Certification Officer in the College or Department of Education at the college or university.
  3. An official transcript reflecting the required six semester hours credit earned for renewal purposes. (Photocopies or grade reports are not acceptable.)