Praxis Requirements for Licensure
Applicants seeking initial licensure or additional endorsements must pass all applicable portions of the Praxis Series Exams, developed and administered by the Educational Testing Service (ETS). Additionally, every Initial License Applicant is required to take one of the PLT Exams.
Upon completion of all requirements, the Dean of Education of the college or university must send a recommendation to the Office of Teacher Licensing who will issue the appropriate license or add-on endorsement.
The Office of Teacher Licensing does not administer the Praxis Series tests. To register for Praxis tests you must register online with Educational Testing Service. For registration materials, please call ETS at 1-800-772-9476 or 1-609-771-7395.
When registering for any Praxis testing for Tennessee, please provide ETS with your social security number. This will create a file of scores within the Tennessee Department of Education.
Helpful ETS Links
- Tennessee Test Requirements: Determine which test you need to take and see the minimum qualifying score
- ETS FAQ: Find answers to most questions and determine which portions of the tests are required
- Exams For Specialty Areas: View a complete listing of all tests required for Specialty areas
- Exams For Determining Highly Qualified Status: View a complete listing of those tests used for determining highly qualified status in the state of Tennessee.
- Preparation Materials: Find Study Companions, Study Guides, and Practice Tests