TCAP has been the state's testing program since 1988, and it includes TNReady, the state's assessments in math, English language arts, social studies, and science. As the state has transitioned to higher academic standards over the past several years, and will continue to do so, our tests have become better aligned to what educators are teaching. The assessments now include rigorous questions that measure students' writing, critical thinking, and problem solving skills.
Updated materials for educators will be available in the coming weeks, including the school guide which provides resources to support superintendents, principals, teachers, and test coordinators. This includes:
- Information about general test topics like timing, logistics, administration, and results, including scoring
- Communications resources to share with families
- Blueprints that outline exactly what content will be assessed
- Accommodations and accessibility resources for all students and for those with disabilities
- Options for English Learners
- Calculator guidance
- Teacher FAQs
Materials for parents will also be available in the coming weeks to help families prepare, such as a parent guide, checklist, sample test questions, practice tools, and information about results and timing, as well as links to more information about testing time, accommodations, and accessibility resources.