Sustainable Transportation Awards & Forum
The Tennessee Sustainable Transportation Awards recognize outstanding initiatives to improve the efficiency, accessibility, affordability, and sustainability of transportation systems in the State, consistent with ongoing efforts to improve the health and well-being of Tennesseans, provide for a strong economy, and protect our State’s natural resources. Eligible entities include: federal, state and local governments; commercial, nonprofit, and industrial organizations; public and private institutions of higher education; and utilities. The entity must be located in Tennessee, and the project must have been completed in the last five years. All nominees must have a minimum of three consecutive, current years of exceptional environmental compliance with the Department of Environment and Conservation. Self-nominations are encouraged. Applications for the 2017 awards were due by March 31, 2017.
TDEC and TDOT considered the following criteria in evaluating project nominations:
- Innovation: How the project utilized new thinking or creative approaches to meet a particular transportation challenge.
- Best Practices and Replicability: How the project demonstrates a transferable solution, such that others could adopt or implement similar programs or initiatives.
- Changes in Transportation Behavior: How a project worked to encourage or achieve changes in transportation behavior in order to make a transportation system more efficient.
- Improvements to Public Health and Safety: How a project creates improvements to public health, well-being, or safety in a given community.
In connection with Clean Air Month, the Tennessee Department of Environment and Conservation (TDEC), Tennessee Department of Transportation (TDOT), and Tennessee Clean Fuels hosted a recognition ceremony and sustainable transportation forum on May 23-24, 2017 at the Downtown Nashville Public Library. The forum, entitled “Navigating Toward a Livable Tennessee,” highlighted local transportation planning and the pursuit of place-based policies and investments for improved transportation options in our communities. The forum also featured a showcase of alternative fuel vehicles, as well as a recognition ceremony for a new class of certified Tennessee Green Fleets. Through Tennessee Clean Fuels' Tennessee Green Fleets Certification Program, any Tennessee-based fleet can receive certification for its efforts toward reducing petroleum consumption, improving air quality, and increasing the use of alternative fuels or advanced vehicle technologies.
2017 Event Agenda
Tuesday, May 23, 2017
9:00-9:30 a.m. Registration and Networking
9:30-10:10 a.m. Keynote Address- Erika Young, Director of Strategic Partnerships, Smart Growth America
10:10-11:40 a.m. General Session - Behavior Change: Strategies for Transportation Demand Management and the Increased Adoption of Alternatives to Single Occupancy Vehicles
11:40 a.m.-12:40 p.m. Lunch and Speaker
12:40-2:10 p.m. General Session- “One Big Idea” – Overview of Winning Projects and Ideas
2:10-2:20 p.m. Transition Break
2:20-3:40 p.m. General Session: Energy and the Environment
3:40-5:00 p.m. Tennessee Green Fleets Certification Awards Presented by Tennessee Clean Fuels
5:00-7:00 p.m. Off-Site Networking Reception and Alternative Fuel Vehicle Showcase (Bridge Building)
Wednesday, May 24, 2017
9:00-9:30 a.m. Registration and Networking
9:30-9:50 a.m. Morning Address- Mayor Megan Barry, Metropolitan Government of Nashville and Davidson County
9:50-11:20 a.m. General Session- Mobility Planning
11:20-11:30 a.m. Transition Break
11:30 a.m.-1:30 p.m. 2017 Sustainable Transportation Awards Presented by the Tennessee Department of Environment and Conservation and the Tennessee Department of Transportation - TDEC Commissioner Robert J. Martineau, Jr., TDEC Deputy Commissioner Shari Meghreblian, Ph.D., and TDOT Deputy Commissioner Toks Omishakin
- 2017 Sustainable Transportation Awards application
- Sign up to receive email updates regarding applications and event details.
- Winners of the 2015 Tennessee Sustainable Transportation Awards
- Winners of the 2016 Tennessee Sustainable Transportation Awards
- Winners of the 2017 Tennessee Sustainable Transportation Awards
- Bios for 2016 Sustainable Transportation Forum Speakers
- Bios for 2017 Sustainable Transportation Forum Speakers
- Presentations from the 2016 Sustainable Transportation Forum
- Presentations from the 2017 Sustainable Transportation Forum