Skip to Content

National Register of Historic Places From Tennessee

Contact Information

Claudette Stager - 615.532.1550 ext.105
Claudette.Stager@tn.gov
Christine Mathieson - 615.532.1550 ext.125
Christine.Mathieson@tn.gov
Peggy Nickell - 615.532.1550 ext.128
Peggy.Nickell@tn.gov

Other Registration Forms

The National Register of Historic Places is the Nation's list of cultural resources consideredworthy of preservation. In Tennessee, the staff of the Tennessee Historical Commission administers this program. Three times a year, the State Review Board meets to recommend properties for listing in the National Register.

There are over 2000 entries in the National Register from Tennessee. Every county in the state has at least one entry. For additional information on the National Register program, contact the Tennessee Historical Commission at 615/532-1550 or


Tennessee Supreme Court Building

Tennessee Supreme Court Building

The 1936 Tennessee Supreme Court Building was designed by the Nashville based architectural firm Marr and Holman, and was partially funded by the Public Works Administration. The building is important for its association with New Deal era programs, for the decades of legal decisions that took place in the building, and for its architectural style. The New Deal building programs showed the federal government's efforts to provide employment, improving the state's economy. The Tennessee Supreme Court Building was the first building in Tennessee specifically constructed to house the Supreme Court and the Court of Appeals. Architecturally, the building is a fine example of the Stripped Classical style popular in the 1930s and 1940s. This style uses elements form the earlier classical styles and "strips" the details down to a minimum. Details on the building include the Doric capitals, a cornice embellished with classical motifs, multi-pane windows, extensive use of marble on the interior, and historic lighting fixtures. The building is still used by Tennessee's Supreme Court and Court of Appeals.

National Register of Historic Places Registration Form for the Tennessee Supreme Court Building.


Mead Quarry
Mead Marble Quarry
Ross Quarry
Ross Marble Quarry

Mead Marble Quarry and Ross Marble Quarry

Mead and Ross Marble Quarries in Knox County were listed in the National Register as part of a larger project that documented the importance of the marble industry in East Tennessee from 1838 through 1963. For over a century, East Tennessee marble was considered a premier building material for civic and private buildings. Marble from East Tennessee quarries was shipped throughout the United States. Once prominent on the landscape, today only remnants of most marble quarries remain. The Mead Marble Quarry and Ross Marble Quarry in Knox County are two of the principal quarries that have historic features remaining. Both quarries operated from 1890-1900 to around 1940. Mead Marble Quarry is characterized by a quarry pit, historic railroad corridor, bluffs and outcroppings with drill marks and other features that indicate marble was quarried there. Ross Marble Quarry contains two quarry pits, bluffs that indicate bench quarrying, outcroppings with drill marks and scattered waste blocks of marble. The quarry sites are now part of the Ijams Nature Center in Knoxville.

National Register of Historic Places Registration Form for the Mead Marble Quarry and Ross Marble Quarry.


Grand Guitar

Grand Guitar

The Grand Guitar, located between I-81 and State Street in Bristol, was completed in 1983. The guitar-shaped building is a replica of a Martin Dreadnaught guitar and was designed by building owner Joe Morrell. The two-and-three-story, seventy-foot long building began drawing interest from tourists before it was completed and soon became an iconic landmark for Bristol, which is the official "Birthplace of Country Music." Morrell operated the building as a museum, recording studio, radio station and store. Original exterior features include the saddle bridge, sound hole, pick guard, finger board, turning keys, and strings. The Grand Guitar is an excellent example of mimetic architecture. Mimetic architecture is characterized by a building that mimics something not usually seen as a building, like a giant coffee pot used as a restaurant. Popular during the early automobile age, it is a type of design usually seen in commercial buildings. The goal of modern mimetic design is to lure the traveler from the highway into a community and into the particular building, as the Grand Guitar does.

National Register of Historic Places Registration Form for the Grand Guitar.