The Division of Remediation has many ongoing projects and many successful projects as well . This section highlights a few of Remediation's efforts at restoring Tennessee's environment and protecting human health.
East Tennessee Success Stories
The Tennessee Department of Environment and Conservation (TDEC), Division of Remediation (DoR) is utilizing US EPA 128(a) Brownfields funding to provide technical assistance and oversight on the City of Chattanooga’s North St. Elmo Drainage Improvement Project. Since the 800’s, foundry operations were very active in Chattanooga. As a result, many brownfields re-use projects encounter foundry sand. The Division of Remediation worked with the City to address contaminated soils in this large infrastructure project. View more information and images.
Flooding in the historic downtown district of Johnson City, Tennessee was identified as a major barrier to reinvestment and redevelopment. The former Young’s Warehouse property was identified in as property which could be used to provide relief for flooding. Historic uses of the property included a former gas station, tire retreading facility, bulk petroleum storage, and a drycleaner. The City worked in collaboration with the Division of Remediation to develop a plan to address contaminated soils, left by previous industrial uses, to transform this property into public greenspace. View more information and images
The Baptist Hospital Complex along the banks of the Tennessee River, just south of downtown Knoxville, was in operation for over 50 years. Since 2008, the property has sat vacant. Through an EPA 104(k) Brownfields Assessment grant awarded to the City of Knoxville, Phase I and II environmental assessments were done and environmental impacts were identified. These environmental assessments were critical to it's redevelopment. View more information and images
The 19.4-acre vacant Brookside Mills site in Knox County, Tennessee started its industrial life in 1885 when it was a textile mill and at its peak employed about 1,000 people. The redevelopment of this former brownfield has supported the county’s focus on encouraging new and expanding businesses to locate near the urban core in economically-distressed areas. Phase I and II environmental assessments were completed on the Brookside Mills site using funding from an EPA 104(k) Brownfields Assessment grant. View more information and images.
Middle Tennessee Success Stories
The Gulch is currently an urban mixed-use neighborhood in downtown Nashville encompassing over 60 acres. The Gulch got its name from its roots as a bustling railroad yard dating to before the Civil War, which included a roundhouse, a coal yard and a paint shop in subsequent years. The Tennessee Department of Environment and Conservation, Division of Remediation staff worked with several key properties and subsequent property owners to complete Voluntary Brownfields Agreements, assessing and cleaning up any contamination, preparing these properties for revitalization. View more information and images
Rolling Mill Hill was the home to Nashville General Hospital from 1890 to the 1990s. In the 1990s, when the hospital moved to another location, those buildings became vacant. In 2004, Metropolitan Development and Housing Agency (MDHA) was the recipient of an EPA 104(k) Brownfields Assessment grant, a Cleanup grant, and a Revolving Loan Fund grant to address environmental issues from previous property uses. The MDHA entered into Brownfields Voluntary Agreements, containing risk-driven land use restrictions, with the Tennessee Department of Environment and Conservation, Division of Remediation, and now, this property is back to productive re-use. View more information and images
A former waste-to-energy plant along the Cumberland River in downtown Nashville, Tennessee functioned to produce steam heat, cooling and heating downtown buildings until a new facility was built at another location. The former Thermal Plant was then torn down and sat vacant for years.The redevelopment of this former brownfield has supported Metro Nashville's goal to create the 6,800-seat Ascend Amphitheater and the 11-acre West Riverfront Park. The Division of Remediation worked closely with EPA and Metro Nashville to address environmental impacts for it's redevelopment. View more information and images.
Along the east bank of the Cumberland River, the Nashville Bridge Company was originally founded as a bridge builder in the 1890s. After multiple uses over the years, the facility closed in 1996 when it was determined a new stadium for the Tennessee Titans would be built on a portion of the property. However, the closure left the riverfront portion of the property sitting vacant. Environmental assessments were done on the property utilizing EPA Targeted Brownfields Assessments and the Division of Remediation 128(a) funds as a part of the process to turn this vacant property into the Cumberland Play Park. View more information and images.
A property in downtown Nashville with quite the illustrious history that included being the home to an egg breaking plant, beer warehouse, foundry and many other previous uses has now been converted into a much-needed parking garage adjacent to the First Tennessee Park, where the Nashville Sounds play baseball. View more information and images.
A former vacant and contaminated property near Smyrna, Tennessee has now been transformed into the Nissan Smyrna automotive plant, creating new jobs for the region. A joint effort from the Division of Remediation and the Division of Water Resources resulted in addressing existing contamination to allow for the construction of a new automotive facility. View more information and images.
West Tennessee Success Stories
In 2010 the small, rural river town in southwest Tennessee received an EPA Brownfields 104(k) Community Wide Assessment Grant. Prior to being awarded this grant, the town had a vacant and unused former county high school. Through this grant, several environmental assessments were completed. View more information and images
Firestone, one of the Mid-South’s largest manufacturers, opened in North Memphis in 1936 by moving into a massive factory vacated by a wood-products company, and greatly expanding it. The Firestone tire plant operated until the end of the 1970’s, when their production began to dwindle, and finally, in 1983, the plant closed its doors. In 1997, the EPA provided Brownfields funding to the City of Memphis to conduct an environmental assessment and cleanup planning at the Firestone property. View more information and images
The former Chisca hotel in downtown Memphis has been a fixture in the Memphis skyline for over 100 years. This historic building has served several purposes throughout its life, but notably, it was the broadcast center where Elvis Presley’s voice first hit the airwaves. Since the late 1990s’ the building sat vacant and empty until 2013. Through private and public investments including a 104(k) EPA Brownfields Assessment Grant, The former Chisca hotel is back in re-use as a mixed-use development. View more information and images
A 13.3 mile stretch of the Greater Memphis Greenline in Shelby County, Tennessee was made possible by an EPA 104(k) Brownfields Assessment grant and 128(a) funds that provided oversight for the project. A $347,080 hazardous substance assessment grant was awarded in 2008 to assess a stretch of 100-foot wide abandoned railroad corridor that runs from Cordova, TN to Memphis, TN. View more information and images.
The Chelsea Avenue Greenline project involves a 2.4 mile section of abandoned railway in Memphis, Tennessee. Three Phase I Environmental Site Assessments were completed on the property through Shelby County's EPA Brownfields Assessment Grant, with oversight provided by TDEC. These assessments were critical to moving the project forward to connect the Shelby Farms Greenline to the Uptown West area. View more information and images.
The former Citizens Gas and Light property in Jackson, Tennessee was a manufactured gas plant that operated from 1871-1931. It is located on the northern fringe of downtown Jackson, between a Farmers Market and a disadvantaged neighborhood. The City of Jackson was awarded a $200,000 Brownfields 104(k) Cleanup Grant to remove source contamination areas and put a soil cover system in place. View more information and images.