The Helping Heroes Act of 2008 Approved
Thursday, July 10, 2008 | 7:49am
NASHVILLE - A new grant has been approved for the 2008-09 academic year that will assist Tennessee veterans in completing their college education. The grant, known as the Helping Heroes Grant, will be available each year to as many as 375 eligible veterans on a first come, first-served basis and will award $1,000 to students completing at least 12 semester hours each term. Additionally, students who successfully complete between six (6) and eleven (11) hours can receive $500 per semester.
Eligibility for the program includes the following criteria:
· Must be honorably discharged from the armed forces of the United States or a former member of a reserve or Tennessee national guard unit called into active duty·
· Must be a Tennessee resident·
· Must have been awarded:
o The Iraq Campaign Medal
o The Afghanistan Campaign Medal, or
o The Global War on Terrorism expeditionary Medal (awarded on or after September 11, 2001).
· Must be admitted to and enrolled at an eligible postsecondary institution, seeking an associates or baccalaureate degree·
· Must not have previously received a baccalaureate degree ·
· Must make application for the Helping Heroes Grant for any semester in which the veteran successfully completes six (6) or more semester hours Students have until September 1, 2008 to process their applications for grant eligibility.
Tennessee Student Assistance Corporation