Barber School Licensing Requirements
Owners of the new school must submit an application accompanied
by the appropriate fee and a floor plan to be approved by the Board.
If the application and floor plan are approved at a Board meeting
a tentative inspection date will be scheduled and the owner advised
If the school passes inspection
by at least one (1) Board Member, upon receipt of the inspection
sheet a license will issued.
Change of Ownership/Location
An application for change of location must be accompanied by the
appropriate fee and a floor plan to be approved by the Board. If
the application and floor plan are approved at a Board meeting a
tentative inspection date will be scheduled and the owner advised
Application for change of ownership do not need to be accompanied
by a floor plan.
If the school passes inspection by at least one
(1) Board Member, upon receipt of the inspection sheet a license
will be issued.
School renewal applications are mailed out two months prior to expiration
date. Barber school licenses expire on anniversary date of the original
license and must be renewed annually.
A board member and an inspector each must inspect
the schools on an annual basis. The date of inspection is logged
on the "School Inspection Sheet".
A penalty fee of ten ($10.00) will be assessed on any renewal application
postmarked after the expiration date of the license.
Requirements for School License
- The Board of Barber Examiners will not
issue, reissue or renew a license to operate a school of barbering
or authorize a change of ownership or location of a school of
barbering, unless the school is equipped with at least the following:
- a minimum of two (2) restroom facilities.
- one (1) work station with adjustable chair
per student working on the clinic floor, with a minimum of
fifteen (15) stations.
- five (5) shampoo basins adequately spaced
with hot and cold running water.
- two (2) manicure tables.
- two (2) floor based hooded dryers.
- one (1) sitting arrangement in the theory
classroom for each student attending class.
- one (1) wet sterilizer at each student work
- enclosed storage area for clean towels.
- enclosed container for solid towels.
- covered trash containers maintained in a
- sufficient ultra violet sanitizer and/or
dry sterilization at each student's work station;
- posted sign stating that all barber services
are performed by students;
- adequate waiting area for customers; and
- time sheet/time clock.
- A proposed floor plan must be submitted
to and approved by the Board before:
- issuance of a license to operate a new barber
- issuance of a license to operate a barber
school whose ownership has changed;
- reissuance of a license to operate a relocated
- a branch school shall be considered a new
school and closed to the public for ninety (90) days.
- The floor plan shall provide for and the school
shall contain, at least sixteen hundred square feet (1600 sq.
ft.) of instructional floor space, including an enclosed classroom
for theory instruction. The building shall meet all applicable
fire and building regulations prescribed by state or local government.
- The requirements of the school or enrollment
of students are:
- every barber school shall maintain documentation
in each student's file which evidences age and education which
meets eligibility requirements for enrollment.
- every enrollment of a student in a barber
school shall be evidenced by a written enrollment agreement,
signed by both parties, which clearly details the rights and
obligations of both parties.
- the school shall furnish to the student an
executed copy of the enrollment agreement and maintain a copy
of the agreement in the student's file.
- Every student enrollment agreement shall:
- be signed and dated by the student and an
authorized representative of the school;
- specify the number of clock hours in the
course of instruction and an approximate number of weeks or
months required for completion;
- identify all costs and charges which the
student must bear;
- indicate any grounds for termination of a
student by the school;
- state in clear and understandable language
the school's refund policy;
- list any special conditions or requirements
for graduation; and
- contain an acknowledgment that the student
has read and understands the agreement before making any payment
- All documentation agreements required under this
rule shall be available for inspection by members or inspectors
of the Board during business hours.
- Three hundred forty (340) hours of instruction
are required of applicants for a certificate or registration as
- Fifteen hundred (1500) hours of training are
required of applicants for a certificate of registration as a
master barber with at least one (1) hour of theory class per day.
- The barber instructor training program curriculum
shall consist of 450 hours.
- Every barber school shall:
- Publish readily available and clearly express
admission policies and requirements.
- Provide to prospective students (before enrollment)
published materials which explain requirements for licensure
as a master barber, barber technician, and barber instructor
in the State of Tennessee.
- Give a receipt to any student from whom money
is collected by authorized school personnel; and
- Submit to the office of the Board, on the
prescribed form, a monthly progress report on each student
enrolled. The monthly reports must be received no later than
the tenth (10th) of each month for the previous month's hours
of instruction. If reports are not submitted by this date,
a penalty set by the board will be issued for violation of
Every barber school or college shall,
upon completion or discontinuance of the course of instruction by
a student, furnish him or her a transcript showing accumulated hours
of instruction. The school or college shall simultaneously furnish
a copy of such transcript to the office of the Board. The Board may
not release hours until all money has been paid to the school.