Disabled driver or passenger license plates, placards and decals are available to Tennessee residents who:
- are confined to a wheelchair.
- walk with difficulty or uncertainty.
- have 20/200 vision or worse with corrective lenses.
- are the parent or legal guardian of a person who is permanently disabled and incapable of operating a motor vehicle.
An agency can obtain a disabled placard if it:
- transports disabled clients;
- uses the placard only when transporting disabled clients; and
- secures just one placard per vehicle owned and operated for the purpose of transporting disabled clients.
Temporary disabled placards are:
- available to those with a temporary disabling condition.
- valid for up to six months.
- reissued once, if necessary.
A disabled driver decal is available to people with a permanent disability who currently own or purchase a "new specialty" license plate.
Disabled plate – $21.50 annually (no charge if confined to a wheelchair).
Permanent disability placard – $21.50 + $3 renewal every two years (no charge if vehicle registration in applicant’s name).
Temporary disability placard – $10.
Replacement placard – $2.
Disabled driver decal – no charge.
- Application Process
To apply for a disabled person license plate/placard/decal:
1. Complete the “Application for Disabled Person License Plate, Placard and/or Decal.” Applications are also available from your county clerk.
2. Provide certification of disability from either:
- a medical doctor licensed to practice medicine;
- a physician’s assistant or nurse practitioner acting in conjunction with a written protocol developed jointly by a physician; or
- a Christian Science Practitioner listed in the Christian Science Journal
3. Submit the two forms to your local county clerk.
More information on disabled person license plates, placards and decals is in the application for disabled person license plate/placard.
- Disabled Plates and Placards
Disabled Driver - Personalized
Temporary Disability Placard
Permanent Disability Placard
Disabled Driver Decal (No Fee)
Specialty Plates for Disabled Residents
- Available to: Tennessee residents who are veterans of the U.S. military and entitled to compensation from the Veteran’s Administration due to a disability incurred in or aggravated by active military service.
- Documentation Required: Approval letter from the Department of Veterans Services testifying to: loss or permanent loss of use of one or both feet; loss or permanent loss of use of one or both hands; permanent impairment of vision of both eyes; and service-connected disability constituting 100% permanent total disability.
- Cost: No annual fee for one plate. Second automobile plate - $23.63 initial fee and $21.50 renewal. Second motorcycle plate - $18.75 initial fee and $14.50 renewal.
- Option to Personalize: No.
- Disabled Parking Privileges? Yes.
- Hearing Impaired Plate
Hearing Impaired Plate*
- Available to: Tennessee residents with a hearing disability.
- Documentation required: Doctor’s statement indicating applicant is deaf.
- Cost: $21.50 annual fee.
- Option to Personalize: No.