Skip to Content

Manufactured Homes Affixed to Real Property

De-title Process

According to Tenn. Code Ann. Section 55-1-105 manufactured homes are structures in sections 8 ft. or more in width or 40 ft. or more in length to be used as a dwelling. These homes are not required to be titled when affixed to real property.

As referenced in Tenn. Code Ann. Section 55-3-138, an affidavit of affixation is provided in the act which allows the legal ownership interest in the manufactured home to be recorded in the register of deeds office in the county in which the real property and manufactured home is located.

The owner may de-title a mobile home by surrendering the certificate of title; or titles if more than one unit or if a new home that has not been titled the certificate of origin or manufactured statement of origin for cancellation through their local county clerk or mailed directly to the Vehicle Services Division.

Required documents to be submitted:

  • Letter of request to de-title.
  • Certificate of Title or Certificate of Origin or Manufactured Statement of Origin.
  • Certified copy of warranty deed or instrument of conveyance evidencing the real property.
  • Certified copy of the Affidavit of Affixation. Click here for a copy of the required form.

Once de-title process is completed by the Vehicle Services Division, notification will be made to the lienholder or owner by stamping the word DE-TITLE on the face of the certificate of title or titles for each unit, certificate of origin or manufacturer statement of origin and mailing or faxing it to them.

Note: There is no fee for this service.

Request For Canceled Title to be Reissued

If the legal owner desires to sell the manufactured home that has become affixed to real property for which their certificate of title or titles for each unit has been cancelled, a new certificate of title may be reissued by applying with their county clerk.

The owner must provide an abstract of land showing legal ownership of manufactured home and any mortgages recorded, provide a lien release or lienholder's statement that lien is to be recorded on the face of the certificate of title.

Note: All fees will be collected at time of service.