Tennessee Highway Patrol Job Information
The Tennessee Highway Patrol has many responsibilities related to the enforcement of traffic laws as well as the investigation of traffic crashes throughout the state. Furthermore, State Troopers work to prevent these crimes and crashes through education programs and regular patrol and intervention.
High school diploma or GED equivalent. The following requirements must also be met:
- Complete a training class located at the Department of Safety Training Center in Nashville.
- Pass both a physical and psychological examination
- Pass a thorough background investigation
- Have no conviction of a felony or misdemeanor reflecting moral turpitude
- Have nothing less than honorable discharge from any branch of the U.S. military
- Meet the minimum visual acuity of 20/100 in each eye, separately without glasses and a 20/30 in each eye with corrective lenses
- Pass a drug test
- Pass a pre-entrance agility assessment
- Must have a valid vehicle operator's license
- Must be 21 at the time the application is submitted
- Complete an oral interview in addition to the written examination
- Applicants must be willing to accept assignment in any county.