Tennessee Certificate for Driving (Class TD)
PLEASE NOTE: Effective October 1, 2007 the Certificate for Driving (CFD) will no longer be issued to new applicants. Those holding an expired or expiring certificate will not be able to have it renewed.
Residents who hold a valid Certificate for Driving (Class TD) will still be able to legally drive as long as the CFD is valid. Upon the expiration of the CFD the driver may apply for the new Temporary Driver License (Class XD) if they qualify. Residents who hold a current Certificate for Driving (Class TD) may be able to apply for a Duplicate certificate if their CFD is valid on the date of requesting the duplicate. Duplicate applications will be allowed for the following purposes:
- Replacement of a lost or stolen CFD that has not yet expired.
- Name change on an existing CFD that has not yet expired.
- Address or other information changes on an existing CFD that has not yet expired.
What was a Certificate for Driving and why was it repealed?
- The Certificate for Driving was a certificate issued to persons whose presence in the United States has been authorized by the federal government for a specific purpose and for a specific period of time. The Certificate for Driving contained a statement that it was:For Driving Purposes Only, Not Valid For Identification.
- In order to qualify for the Certificate for Driving, applicants were required to provide the department with proof of temporary legal presence in the United States, two acceptable identification documents, and proof of any name changes, and two proofs of Tennessee residency.
- In addition, proof of a social security number (or sworn affidavit if no SSN has been issued) is required along with passing the required vision, knowledge and skills tests where applicable.
- The Certificate for Driving was repealed because of a new law that was passed in May of 2007 replacing the CFD with a Temporary Driver License or Temporary Identification License. Both of the new “Temporary” documents will be valid for identification purposes where the previous CFD was NOT a valid form of identification.
- The document requirements for obtaining either the Temporary Driver License or Temporary Identification License include proof of temporary legal presence and length of authorized stay in the United States. Click on complete details to access Temporary Driver License (TDL) and Temporary Identification License (TID).
Download the Driver License Manual
The Driver License Manual comes in two parts:
- Handbook, which is designed for all current and potential drivers in Tennessee and will help new and old drivers alike get ready for initial, renewal, and other license applications by explaining:
Study Guide, which includes information needed to pass the knowledge tests for a Class D Tennessee driver license.
- the different types of licenses available
- the documentation and other requirements for license applications
- details on Intermediate Driver Licenses and how this graduated driver license works for driver license applicants under age 18
- basic descriptions of the tests required for a Driver License
You will need to study both parts in order to prepare for a knowledge or road test.