Smart Commute by Carpooling
Carpooling is the easiest and most commonly used ridesharing arrangement. Usually two or more commuters organize their trips to and from a destination and decide on guidelines that best suit the participants.
Becoming part of a carpool group is easy and can consist of any number of options based on your destination and work hours. You can share a ride and determine the flexibility of the carpool based on the needs of the participants.
Here are some possible arrangements:
- One person drives all the time, with passengers sharing the cost of commuting
- Participants alternate driving and never exchange any money
- A carpool driver picks up passengers at their homes, meets at a central location; or passengers meet at the driver’s home
- Participants share a ride every day or only on certain days
There are a number of advantages of a carpool, such as:
- Less stress commuting to and from work
- Financial savings by sharing the cost of the commute
- No more driving around looking for parking
- Relaxation, as a rider you have some free time
- Reduced travel time if an HOV lane is available
- Helping protect the environment with a reduction in pollution through less auto emissions
Call a friend, neighbor or co-worker and start sharing a ride today!
Below are a variety of links to information about carpooling options, including ride-matching services, the locations of park-and-ride lots, and much more. Check this page regularly as more links will be added as they become available.
Tennessee Carpool Center: connect with other carpoolers in your area
RTA Carpool ridematch: find a friend to share a ride
Middle TN Region and Nashville: Park and Ride lots
Memphis Rideshare: connect with carpoolers in the Memphis area
Knoxville Smart Trips: connect with carpoolers in the Knoxville area
Carpool World: worldwide match for commuters based on proximity to home
If you are aware of additional commuting links and resources that should be added to this page, please let us know. Send your suggestions and comments to TN.SmartCommute@tn.gov