Members / Applicants
Did you get a letter from the Health Insurance Marketplace saying “Important: We couldn’t send your Marketplace application to TennCare or CoverKids”? If so, read this carefully.
If you don’t have TennCare and want to see if you can get it now, you should call the Marketplace at 1-800-318-2596. They will help you update your application.
Do you think you were eligible when you first applied at the Marketplace and have medical bills for care you received since then?
- If you have TennCare now but your TennCare didn’t start when you first applied at the Marketplace, call Tennessee Health Connection at 1-855-259-0701. Tell them you want to file an effective date appeal.
- If you do not have TennCare now, call Tennessee Health Connection at 1-855-259-0701. Tell them you want to file a delayed application appeal.
Help Applying for TennCare
Do you want help applying for TennCare? There are at least three ways that you can get help:
- You can go to any DHS office in any of Tennessee’s 95 counties. A trained staff person there will help you apply. Over 350 state employees are trained to help you. Find the DHS office in your county.
- You can get help from private groups. Find someone near you. You can also call 1-866-475-7879.
- You can call also 1-800-318-2596 to apply directly over the phone.
If you have a disability, someone can even come to your house to help you apply for TennCare. Just call your local Area Agency on Aging and Disability (AAAD) at 1-866-836-6678.
If you need help getting Long Term Care or you want to apply the Medicare Savings Program.
- TennCare CHOICES in Long Term or a Medicare Savings Program
Do you want to apply for TennCare CHOICES in Long Term or a Medicare Savings Program, like QMB or SLMB? Click on link below.
- For other places you can call for help:
- Are You Waiting for a Decision on Your Application for Medicaid?
TennCare can help. Some people applied at healthcare.gov but have still not gotten a decision. Have you waited for a decision for more than 45 days (or more than 90 days if you applied for long-term care)? You can now ask for a “delay hearing”. To ask for a delay hearing, call us at 1-855-259-0701. OR down load TennCare Eligibility Appeal . If you click on the link, fill out the page and follow the instructions. That page tells you how to send it to us by mail or fax.
- Do you have a new baby (12 months old or less) that you’re trying to enroll?
You may be able to enroll your baby right now. TennCare and CoverKids have made it easy to enroll newborns over the phone:
- Do you already have TennCare? Call 1-855-259-0701 when your baby is born.
- Do you have CoverKids? Call 1-866-620-8864 when your baby is born.
- If you don’t have TennCare or CoverKids, you can apply for your baby over the phone. Call 1-855-259-0701.
- Reporting changes
Tell TennCare about changes to your address, family size, or job.
State law says you must tell us about changes that may affect your TennCare.
If you have TennCare Medicaid, you must report these changes within 10 days of the change.
If you have TennCare Standard, you must report these changes within 30 days of the change.
Call the Tennessee Health Connection right away if:
- You move.
- You change jobs.
- Your family size changes.
- Your income changes.
- You get insurance or can get insurance through your job or a family member's job.
AND, you must give us the proof we need to make the change. The Tennessee Health Connection will tell you the kinds of proof we need. Questions? Call the Tennessee Health Connection for free at 1-855-259-0701.
- Do you get SSI?
If so, you must tell the Social Security Administration about your changes too! Do you need the phone number to your local SSA office? Find your local SSA office.
Or, check the blue pages in your local phone book.
- "Keeping TennCare"
You must renew your TennCare every year. When it's time for you to renew, you'll get a letter from TennCare that tells you how.
- HIPAA plans
Do you need a list of companies that sell HIPAA plans ?
- What is SelectCommunity?
SelectCommunity is a special TennCare health plan for certain individuals with intellectual disabilities, operated by BlueCross BlueShield of Tennessee under the TennCareSelect contract. SelectCommunity serves ONLY members of the former Arlington class and people enrolled in one of the State’s Home and Community-Based Services waivers for people with intellectual disabilities. This includes the Comprehensive Aggregate Cap or CAC Waiver (formerly known as the Arlington Waiver), the Statewide Waiver, and the Self-Determination Waiver. Participants in SelectCommunity continue to receive services through the waiver program. Every SelectCommunity member has a dedicated Nurse Care Manager to help coordinate physical and behavioral health care with their waiver services. More information can be found in the SelectCommunity Presentation .