Completed forms must be submitted directly to the enrolling higher education institution for approval and processing. The Tennessee Higher Education Commission does not accept, approve, or process Fee Discount forms.
- Fee Discount Form for Children of Licensed Public School Teachers and Children of State Employees (PDF File)
- Fee Discount Rules for Children of Licensed Public School Teachers and Children of State Employees (PDF File)
The fee discount program provides a 25 percent discount on enrollment fees for undergraduate courses, generally referred to as tuition, to the child of a full-time employee of the executive, judicial, or legislative branch of State government.
As noted above, a full-time employee is defined as employee of one of the three branches of government in a position classified as “full-time” and expected to work 1,950 per year, or an employee, regardless of classification who is expected to work 1,600 hours per year and who receives employment benefits provided to all full-time employees.
The fee discount is available to:
- The child of a state employee retired after 25 years as a State employee even if the retired employee has died since retirement but before his/her child begins receiving the benefit of the fee discount;
- The child of a former State employee who died while employed by the State, whether or not the death was job related or in the line of duty;
- The child of a teacher licensed by the Department of Education or by a branch of the U.S. Armed Forces to teach Reserve Officer Training Corps, and technology coordinators currently employed by a public school system.
- The child of a retired public school teacher who retired with a minimum of 30 years of service or who received a disability retirement after a minimum of 25 years of full-time creditable service.
- The child of a public school teacher/technology coordinator, whose parent/school teacher dies while he/she is receiving the discount, may continue to receive it as long as the student is otherwise eligible. (This provision does not apply to the child of a former public school teacher who dies prior to their child becoming eligible for the discount).
To be eligible the child must:
- Be under the age of 24 as of the first day of classes;
- Live with or previously lived in a parent-child relationship with the eligible employee/teacher.
Many questions arise as to who may be considered a dependent eligible for this discount.
- The discount is available to any legally adopted or stepchild living in a parent-child relationship.
- This would also include grandchildren being raised by a grandparent who is an eligible State employee or public school teacher.
- The key to this issue is whether the eligible State employee or public school teacher has legal custody of the child and whether the child is considered a dependent of the employee/teacher.
The discount will be applied to any number of courses up to and including full-time study.
The fee discount form must be signed by the employee and by the employee's supervisor or other person in the employee's department/agency who by virtue of his position has knowledge of and can verify that the employee meets eligibility requirements.
In the case of a retired state employee or retired teacher, the retirement verification must be made by the Division of Retirement. The otherwise completed form should be mailed or faxed to the attention of the Retired Payroll Section for verification as follows:
TCRS, 15th Floor Andrew Jackson Building, 502 Deaderick Street, Nashville, TN 37243 or fax 615-401-6818.
Voice Toll-Free: 800-922-7772
Telecommunication Device for Deaf Persons (TDD): 800-766-4952
If faxing the form you must include a mailing address to which the form can be returned to the employee as most institutions will require an original signature verifying eligibility.
The employee or their dependent is responsible for submitting the fee discount form to the institution in a timely fashion. Each institution's procedures vary and the employee or their dependent is encouraged to contact the Bursar's office of the institution to determine when the form must be submitted.